The BA Theatre Studies program introduces students to key areas of theatre studies including acting, technical theatre, design and production, as well as practical participation in departmental productions.
In theatre studies, our program promotes a strong focus on the theory and practice of dramatic compositions. Through our courses we emphasize the relationship between performance, literary-text and historical contexts.
The BA Theatre Studies program offers major, honours and minors options to support students at all interest levels. Our talented faculty members are renowned experts in various specialties of theatre studies. Their engagement and dedication to research and the cinematic industry provides students with a stimulating academic environment.
Students interested in a major in theatre studies must complete 42 credits in theatre and drama following these course requirements:
- 12 credits in theatre and drama including
- THTR 210
- THTR 211
- 30 credits in 300-400 level theatre courses
- At least 18 of those credits must be from the following:
- THTR 310, 311, 320, 323, 325, 340,410, 420, 425, 440, 443, 445
The honours program is for students with a keen interest and critical mind for theatre studies and are considering graduate studies in the field.
Admissions into the honours program is by application only. Students wishing to apply to the BA Theatre Studies honours program must score a minimum of 76% in THTR 210 and 211.
Students interested in the theatre studies honour program must complete 60 credits in theatre and drama following these course requirements:
- THTR 445
- THTR 449
- 48 credits from level 300-400 theatre and drama courses
- At least 15 of those credits must be from the following:
- THTR 310, 311, 320, 323, 325, 340, 410, 420, 425, 440, 443, 445
Students interested in a minor in theatre studies must complete 30 credits in theatre and drama following these course requirements:
- At least 3 credits from THTR 210 or 211
- At least 6 credits from the following:
- THTR 310, 311, 320, 323, 325,340, 410, 420, 425, 440, 443, 445
- 18 credits of 300- 400 level courses
Honours Admission Requirements
Students are admitted into the honours program by application only. Applicants must have a minimum of 76% in THTR 210 and 211.
Interested applicants should contact the Department Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the application form and additional information.
Certificates in Theatre Design and Technology
The Department of Theatre and Film also offers a Certificate in Theatre Design and Technology to all interested students. The department offers three certificates:
- Technology Certificate: Beginner students can take introductory level courses before moving on to more specific areas of practical study and try level professional development.
- Advanced Technology Certificate: More experienced students can develop additional skills while encouraging a broader understanding of theatre history and dramaturgy.
- Design Certificate: Intended for experienced students or professionals who wish to extend their study at the senior undergraduate and graduate levels.