BFA Design and Production Advisor: Professor Robert Gardiner
NEW FOR SEPTEMBER 2017 ADMISSIONS:
UBC Department of Theatre & Film has moved to first year admission to our BFA Programs (allowing entry directly from high school).
All applicants must complete the online University of British Columbia Vancouver Campus application. Additional material, described below, is required for application to the BFA Design and Production program.
- Students applying directly from secondary school should list the Bachelor of Fine Arts program in Design and Production as their first choice of degree program, using the online application, and should send the additional material (described below) to the BFA Design and Production Advisor.
- Students who have completed transferable courses at another post-secondary institution should list the Bachelor of Fine Arts program in Design and Production as their first choice of degree program using the online application, and send the additional material (described below) to the BFA Design and Production Advisor.
- Students who are already attending UBC and want to apply to the BFA program should send the additional material to the BFA Design and Production Advisor.
Additional material required for application:
A letter of intent, a resume, and a portfolio of work are required for admission to the BFA Design and Production program, in addition to the UBC online application.
- Applicants must complete the UBC online application BEFORE submitting the additional material, in order to receive a UBC identification number (student number). ALL applicants must include their UBC student number in their letter of intent.
- The letter of intent should describe your interest in design and production and discuss your goals for university study, and it must include your student identification number. The letter of intent should be sent to the BFA Design and Production Advisor as an email or an email attachment in .pdf format.
- The portfolio should include a resume showing your previous experience in the performing or visual arts, and examples of artwork or graphics such as drawing, sketching, painting, photography, design, illustration, and technical drawing and / or photographs of your work for theatre or film production. Applicants who have no examples of artwork or graphics should submit a resume.
- To submit the portfolio / resume, send an email to the BFA Design and Production Advisor with a link to your online portfolio. The online portfolio should be an accessible website that doesn’t require a sign-in or password for viewing. If you don’t have a portfolio website, send an email to the BFA Design and Production Advisor with your portfolio, resume, and letter of intent as attachments in .pdf format (include your UBC student identification number in the letter of intent). Do NOT send portfolios, resumes, and letters of Intent to UBC Admissions.