UBC faculty and alumni were in the spotlight at the 33rd Annual Jessie Richardson Awards.
Carmen Alatorre (MFA), Mishelle Cuttler (BFA), Lauchlin Johnston (BFA), Craig Holzchuh (MFA), and Christine Quintana (MFA) were all acknowledged for their individual creations, with Holzchuh’s company, Théâtre la Seizième, and Quintana’s Delinquent Theatre awarded Best Production for Large and Small Theatre.
Department faculty were also acknowledged for their significant contributions to the Vancouver theatre community. Adjunct Professor, Lorraine West, accepted the Colin Campbell Award for Excellence in Technical Theatre, and Professor Jerry Wasserman received the GVPTA Career Achievement Award.
- Lighting Design – Lauchlin Johnston (The Whipping Man, Pacific Theatre).
- Costume Design – Carmen Alatorre (Crazy for You, Gateway Theatre).
- Direction – Craig Holzschuh (À toi, pour toujours, ta Marie-Lou, Théâtre la Seizième).
- Outstanding Production – À toi, pour toujours, ta Marie-Lou, *Théâtre la Seizième.
- Sound Design/Composition – Mishelle Cuttler (STATIONARY: A Recession-Era Musical, **Delinquent Theatre).
- Production (Musical) – STATIONARY, A Recession-Era Musical, **Delinquent Theatre.
Significant Achievement Awards:
GVPTA Career Achievement Award: Professor Jerry Wasserman.
Colin Campbell Award for Excellence in Technical Theatre: Lorraine West.
Sydney Risk Prize for Outstanding Original Script by an Emerging Playwright: Christine Quintana for Selfie, *Théâtre la Seizième.
*UBC alumni-led theatre company (Craig Holzschuh)
**UBC alumni-created theatre company (Christine Quintana)
Photo of Christine Quintana and the STATIONARY cast and creative team courtesy of the Jessie Richardson Awards.