Essay Prize Theatre and Film – Terms of Reference
(10 October 2015)
Terms of reference for an annual award for essay writing in the Department of Theatre and Film
- The Department of Theatre and Film announces an annual ‘Essay Prize of the Department of Theatre and Film’ for the best undergraduate student paper in the broad subject areas of theatre and film.
- Only student papers submitted as part of courses, and by students formally enrolled in a course, organized by the Department of Theatre and Film are eligible.
- This award applies to all written undergraduate student papers submitted to and marked as part of courses run by the Department of Theatre and Film in one academic year. It includes papers submitted in Term 1 or 2 (it excludes submissions during Summer term).
- Nominations for the prize will come from instructors in the Department of Theatre and Film (including part-time, sessional, adjunct, and Faculty instructors). Each instructor is allowed to nominate up to two undergraduate student papers per course taught. There are no restrictions regarding length of paper. Papers will be submitted to the committee void of any marking annotations.
- Nominations should be submitted as Word or PDF documents to Karen Tong at email@example.com
- The deadline for nominations is two weeks after the end of Term 2. Reminders will be sent out to all instructors one week before the deadline.
- The prize will be awarded based on the deliberations of a committee of three (headed by the Department Head or Associate Head), struck in April, with decisions announced in May-June of each year.
- The award is a cash prize. $500 for first place, $300 for second, and $100 for third place.
- It is the intention of the Department to seek for donors for this prize.