The application deadline for admission to the PhD Theatre Studies Program is January 15, 2017.
Students seeking admission to graduate studies in Theatre must apply online through the UBC Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website at https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission.
BEFORE YOU START THE APPLICATION PLEASE BE READY TO SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS IN ELECTRONIC FORMAT (PDF):
- One copy of official transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions attended, including UBC and universities at which you are currently enrolled. Please ensure that you scan both sides of your transcript pages. If your official transcripts are in a language other than English you must also provide a certified translation.
- A statement of purpose (500 words) that details:
- your proposed area of study and its potential contribution to the wider field in which it is situated;
- your academic preparation for the PhD; and
- how UBC’s PhD in Theatre Studies program fits your needs and interests.
- A recent writing sample that demonstrates the quality of your thinking and writing (e.g., an essay from a graduate level class; an article submitted for publication).
- Three (3) letters of recommendation via UBC’s eReference system.
- A resume of your academic and practical training.
DO NOT SEND PAPER DOCUMENTS OR HARD COPY MEDIA to the Department of Theatre and Film. If you receive an offer of admission you will be instructed to send official transcripts directly to the UBC Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Applicants from a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of their application. Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. The PhD in Theatre requires a minimum TOEFL score of 100 (or equivalent). Your score should be sent to UBC electronically.
Please refer to the university regulations as outlined in the UBC Calendar. The Department limits its Ph.D. admissions to students with first-class standing in the Master’s degree, whose area of research intersects substantively with at least one of the Theatre Studies faculty, and who make a compelling case for their program of study at UBC.