The application deadline for admission to the MA Film Studies Program is January 15, 2017.
Application Process and Materials:
Applicants must complete and submit an online application form through Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. This form can be found at: www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/apply-online
There is an application fee of CDN $90 for Canadian applicants. International applicants must pay CDN $150. This fee is set by UBC Graduate Studies and is non-refundable. The fee is payable by credit card. If you do not have a credit card, another cardholder must pay on your behalf.
You will be required to upload the following:
- Copies of official transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions attended, including UBC and universities at which you are currently enrolled. Please ensure you SCAN BOTH SIDES of your transcript pages. If your official transcripts are in a language other than english you must also provide a certified translation.
- A statement of purpose (500 words) that details:
- your proposed area of study and its potential contribution to the wider field in which it is situated;
- your academic preparation for the M.A.; and
- how UBC’s M.A. in Film Studies program fits your needs and interests.
- Two (2) recent writing samples that demonstrate the quality of your thinking and writing (e.g., essays from an undergraduate level class, articles submitted for publication).
- Three (3) letters of recommendation via UBC’s eReference system
- A resume of your academic and practical training.
DO NOT SEND PAPER DOCUMENTS OR HARD COPY MEDIA to the Department of Theatre and Film. If you receive an offer of admission you will be instructed to send official transcripts directly to the UBC Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Applicants from a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of their application. Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. The MA in Film Studies requires a minimum TOEFL score of 100 (or equivalent). Your score should be sent to UBC electronically.
MA Film Studies Admissions and General Information/Questions:
MA Theatre Studies Graduate Secretary: Karen Tong – firstname.lastname@example.org
MA Theatre Studies Faculty Academic Advisor: Lisa Coulthard – email@example.com
Academic Administrator: Ian Patton – firstname.lastname@example.org